Bengaluru FC wins the 131st Durand Cup beating Mumbai City FC
Bengaluru Football Club (FC) won its first Durand cup title by beating Mumbai City FC by 2-1 in the final of the 131st Durand Cup held at the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan (also known as Salt Lake Stadium), Kolkata on 18 September 2022.
N. Sivasakthi and Alan Costa scored the goals for Bengaluru while Lalengmawia Ralte scored for the Mumbai City club.
IMPORTANT FACTS -
Three trophy for the winner :
- The winner of the Durand Cup is given three trophies. They are the Durand Cup (a rolling trophy and the original prize), the Shimla Trophy (also a rolling trophy and first given by the residents of Shimla in 1904) and the President’s Cup (for permanent keep and first presented by Dr. Rajendra Prasad, India’s first President, in 1956).
- The Bengaluru Football club was presented with all the three trophies for its win.
131st Durand Football tournament :
- It was hosted by three states, Assam, Manipur and West Bengal.
- Assam and Manipur hosted the tournament for the first time.
- This year 20-top teams of the country, including all 11 teams from the Indian Super League (ISL) participated as compared to 16 teams that participated last year.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION -
Durand Cup :
- Durand football tournament or Durand cup is the oldest football club tournament in Asia.
- It was started in 1888 and the first tournament was held in Shimla.
- Initially it was a football tournament for different regiments of the British army and it was later opened to the civilians.
- The Tournament is organised by the Indian Army and All India Football Federation.
- The winner is given three trophies, Durand Cup, Shimla Trophy and the President’s cup.
- The Cup is named after the foreign secretary of British India, Mortimer Durand.
- FC Goa was the 130th Durand Cup winner.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -