BJP poised to form government in 4 states and AAP sweeps Punjab polls
Bharatiya Janata Party is set to form governments in Uttar Pradesh,Uttarakhand, Manipur and Goa while the Aam Aadmi Party(AAP) swept away Punjab.
The general election to constitute a new legislative Assembly in the states of Manipur, Goa, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Punjab was held by the Election Commission of India from 14 February 2022 to March 7 ,2022.
Uttar Pradesh voted in 7 phases from February 10 to March 7 to elect 403 vidhan sabha members of the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly
The 40-member assembly of Goa went to polls in a single phase on February 14.
The 70 member assembly of Uttarakhand went to polls in a single phase on February 14.
The 117 member assembly of Punjab went to polls in a single phase on February 20.
The 60 member assembly of Manipur went to polls in two phases on 28 February and 5 March 2022.
Aam Aadmi Party -92 seats
Congress(I)- 18 seats
Shiromani Akali Dal-3 seats
Samajwadi party-111 seats
Others - 2 seats
National People’s Party -7 seats
In Uttar Pradesh,the alliance partners of BJP were Apna Dal(Sonelal) and NISHAD Party(Nirbal Indian Shoshit Hamara Aam Dal") .The alliance partner Apna Dal won 12 seats and the NISHAD party won 6. The total seats won by BJP and its alliances are 273.
Notable winners of the Poll
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath of BJP won from Gorakhpur Urban seat by defeating Samajwadi Party’s Subhawati Upendra Dutt Shukla. This was the first time he contested an Assembly poll.
Samajwadi party leader Akhilesh Yadav won the Karhal seat by defeating the Union Minister of State for Law and Justice Satya Pal Singh Baghel.
Manipur Chief Minister N.Biren Singh of BJP defeated Congress's P Sharatchandra from Heingang seat.
Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant won the Sanquelim assembly constituency seat as he defeated Congress leader Dharmesh Saglani.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister and BJP leader, Pushkar Singh Dhamilost the election from Khatima to the Congress candidate Bhuwan Chandra Kapri.
- Punjab Chief Ministerand Congress Party (I) candidate Charanjit Singh Channi contested from two constituencies and lost both . He was defeated by Aam Aadmi Party(AAP) candidate Labh Singh Ugoke in the Bahadaur assembly seat. He also lost his traditional Chamkaur singh sahib seat to his name sake ,Chanranjit singh Channi of Aam Aadmi Party.
- Former Chief Minister of Punjab ,Captain Amrinder Singh who formed a new party, Punjab Lok Congress lost his Patiala Urban constituency to AAP's Ajit Pal Singh Kohli.
- Congress Party Punjab chief , Navjot Singh Sidhu lost the Amritsar East seat to AAP candidate Jeevanjyot Kaur
- Uttar Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya was defeated by Pallavi Patel of Samajwadi Party in Sirathu constituency .
Pushkar Singh Dhami and Charanjit Singh Channi have resigned from their post .
Chief Election Commissioner of India : Sushil Chandra .
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -