India and France to hold 6th edition of bilateral Army exercise:
Why in the news?
The sixth edition of the Indo-French Shakti 2021, will be conducted in November in Frejus, France.
- It “will focus on Counter Terrorism operations in backdrop of semi-urban terrain under United Nations Mandate with an aim to enhance military cooperation and inter-operability.
- It will be conducted from November 15 to November 26 in Frejus, France.
- A platoon strength of a Gorkha Rifles Infantry Battalion will participate in the exercise, while the French side is being represented by troops of the 21st Marine Infantry Regiment of the 6th Light Armored Brigade.
- India and France carry out three biennial training exercises — Exercise Garuda with the Indian Air Force, Exercise Varuna with the Indian Navy and Exercise Shakti with Indian Army.
- Exercise Desert Knight-21, between the Air Forces of the two nations, was held in January at the Jodhpur Air Force Station.
- The two forces had conducted six editions of Exercise Garuda earlier, the last being in 2019.
- The last edition of the Shakti exercise had taken place at the Foreign Training Node in Mahajan Field Firing Ranges, Rajasthan in 2019.
- The biennial exercise between the armies of the two countries had started in 2011.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -