Indian Start-ups raised a record $24.1 billion in 2021
According to the Nasscom-Zinnov report released on 21st January 2022, Indian startups raised a record $24.1 billion in 2021, a two-fold increase over pre-Covid levels, while $6 billion were raised via public markets with 11 startup IPOs.
- The Indian tech startup base continues to witness steady growth, adding over 2250 startups in 2021, which is 600 more than 2020.
- India, accounting for 70 unicorns, added a record number of new unicorns (42) in 2021 across 18 sectors, third-highest after the US and China, with a cumulative valuation of newly-added unicorns standing around $90 billion.
- “In comparison to 2020, there was a 3X increase in the number of high-value deals (deals over $100 million), demonstrating investor confidence,” according to the Nasscom-Zinnov report.
- The US remains the leading source of foreign direct investment in start-ups.
- The start-up ecosystem saw a 2X gain in cumulative valuation from 2020 to 2021, with an estimate of $320-$330 billion, demonstrating the sector’s development and recovery throughout the pandemic.
- In comparison with the United Kingdom, the United States, Israel and China, 2021 has been an outstanding year for the Indian Start-up ecosystem.
- Established start-up centres like Delhi-NCR, Bengaluru, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad and Mumbai account for 71 percent of all startups.
- Outside of the developing start-up centres like Jaipur, Kochi, Kolkata, Chandigarh, and others, 29 percent of all startups are located.
- At least one-woman founder/co-founder is present in 12-15 percent of start-ups and 10 unicorns.
- In terms of maturity and investments, BFSI, Retail and Retail Tech, Enterprise Tech, and EdTech reign supreme.
The National Association of Software and Service Companies (Nasscom) is an Indian non-governmental trade association and advocacy group focused mainly on the technology industry of India.
Chairperson: U.B. Pravin Rao
President: Debjani Ghosh
Headquarters: New Delhi
Zinnov is a global management consulting and strategic advisory firm that works across the globe in the areas of Globalization, Digital Engineering, Global Talent, and Transformative Technologies.
CEO and Founder: Pari Natarajan
Headquarters: Santa Clara, California, USA
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -