Srinagar joins UNESCO Creative Cities Network 2021:
Why in news?
In November, 2021, Srinagar has joined the UNESCO's network of creative cities.
Significance and History:
- The inclusion of Srinagar in the creative city network for the arts and crafts of UNESCO has paved a way for it to represent its handicrafts on the global stage through the international body.
- The nomination by UNESCO is also the global recognition of the rich craft legacy of Srinagar. It will further help in attracting Craft Connoisseurs to Jammu & Kashmir.
- The Ministry of Culture of the Indian Government had received four nominations which included two from Madhya Pradesh one from West Bengal and one from Jammu & Kashmir (Srinagar).
- The Nomination of Calcutta and Indore were rejected by the Government Srinagar and Gwalior, were forwarded.
- The Government of India recommended the nomination of Srinagar for the Creative City of Craft and Folk Arts and Gwalior for the Creative City of Music to UNESCO on June 29, 2021.
- The nomination of Gwalior was rejected and that of Srinagar for 'City of Craft and Folk Art' was accepted.
- 49 new cities added this year.
- Total numbers of cities stands at 295 from across 90 countries.
- These cities have been included to the list as they invest in culture & creativity like crafts & folk art, film, design, literature, music and arts, in order to advance sustainable urban development.
What is UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN)?
- The UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) was created in 2004 to promote cooperation with and among cities that have identified creativity as a strategic factor for sustainable urban development.
- The Network covers 7 creative fields, which can be chosen by the cities according to their preference for a specific creative industry sector to which they devote their talent and energy.
- 7 creative fields: media, arts and folk art, film, literature, gastronomy, design, and Media Arts.
What is UNESCO?
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) was created on 16 November 1945
- UNESCO has 195 Members and 8 Associate Members and is governed by the General Conference and the Executive Board.
UNESCO's mission is to contribute to the building of a culture of peace, the eradication of poverty, sustainable development and intercultural dialogue through education, the sciences, culture, communication and information.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -