Major objectives of the Prohibition of Child Marriage (Amendment) Act, 2021.
The major objective of the bills are as follows:
- It will amend the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006, to reinforce its application overriding all other existing laws, including any custom, usage or practice governing the parties in relation to marriage;
- Bring women at par with men in terms of marriageable age;
- Prohibit child marriage irrespective of any law, custom, usage or practice governing the parties;
- Declare that provisions of the Act shall have overriding effect over every other law, custom, usage or practice governing the parties;
- The law will be applicable after two years of receiving President Assent.