1. Person in News
Tags: Person in news
1. Gothic novelist Anne Rice passes away
- Anne Rice, the Gothic Novelist who is best known for her best-selling book “Interview with the vampire” passed away.
- She was an American author of gothic fiction, and Christian literature.
2. Elon Musk named Time Person of the year 2021
- New-York based Time magazine has named Tesla founder and space entrepreneur Elon Musk as the Time person of the year 2021.
- Mahatma Gandhi is the only Indian till date to have won the Time Person of the Year in 1930 (then called Time Man of the Year) for his Salt Satyagraha (Dandi march).
- US President Franklin D. Roosevelt is the only person to have won Time Person of the Year 3 times in 1932, 1934 and 1941.
- Indian PM Narendra Modi has won this “People’s Choice Person of the Year” twice in 2014 and 2016
- Elon Reeve Musk is an entrepreneur and business magnate. He is the founder, CEO, and Chief Engineer at SpaceX; Tesla, Inc.; The Boring Company; and co-founder of Neuralink and OpenAI.
3. Gita Gopinath calls on PM Modi
Gita Gopinath, an Indian-American economist, was recently promoted by the IMF and will replace Geoffrey Okamoto as the organisation's First Deputy Managing Director in 2022.
- Gita Gopinath, who is the chief Economist of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) visited India and met the Prime Minister on 15 December 2021.
- She will take over the post of the First Deputy Managing Director of the IMF from 1 January 2022.
4. French Defence Minister’s visit to India
- French Defence Minister, also called as Minister for Armed Forces Mrs. Florence Parly visited India on 17th December 2021.
- She held the “Annual Defence Dialogue” with her Indian counterpart Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh.
2. Person in News
Tags: Person in news
1. Veteran Kannada actor Shivaram passes away
Shivaram was associated with the Kannada film industry since the late 1950s. He was the recipient of several awards, including Padma Bhushan, Dr. Rajkumar Lifetime Achievement Award.
2. Former Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Rosaiah passes away
Former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Konijeti Rosaiah passed away in Hyderabad.
He became the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh in 2009 after the death of Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy in 2009 in a helicopter crash.
3. Senior journalist Vinod Dua dies at 67
Vinod Dua was a prominent Hindi journalist who worked in Doordarshan and NDTV India. In 1996, he became the first electronic media journalist to be bestowed with the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award. He was awarded the Padma Shri for Journalism in 2008 by the Government of India.
4. New Provident Fund Commissioner
Madhya Pradesh cadre IAS officer Neelam Shammi Rao is appointed as new Provident Fund Commissioner in the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) on 4th December 2021 by the Government of India.
5. Sunil Arora joins advisory body of IDEA
- Former Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora has been appointed to the advisory council of the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (IDEA).
6. Padma Shri awardee Nanda Kishore Prusty passes away
Nanda Prusty was a 98-year-old school teacher from Jajpur, popularly known as Nanda Sir who provided free education to generations of children since independence.
- He was awarded Padma Shri 2021 under the "Literature and Education" category by President Ram Nath Kovind in November.
7. Olaf Scholz sworn in as Germany’s new chancellor
Social Democratic Party leader and Germany’s Finance Minister Olaf Scholz was elected by the German Parliament as the next Chancellor of the country on 8th December 2021.
- Olaf Scholz succeeded outgoing chancellor Angela Merkel.
- He will lead a three-party coalition government in Germany.
8. New French Open Director
Former world number one Amelie Mauresmo, 42, will succeed Guy Forget, as a new Director of French Open.
- Mauresmo is French Open’s first female director.
9. Indian Weightlifters in Commonwealth Games
Indian weightlifters Jeremy Lalrinnunga and Achinta Sheuli clinched gold medals in their respective categories at the 2021 Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships in Uzbekistan on Friday.
10. Yash Dhull named captain of Indian Team in U-19 Asia Cup
Delhi batsman Yash Dhull will lead a 20 member India squad in the upcoming Under19 Asia Cup scheduled to be held in the UAE from December 23.
11. Indian Mathematician receives 2021 DST-ICTP-IMU Ramanujan Prize for Young Mathematicians from Developing Countries
Professor Neena Gupta, a mathematician at the Indian Statistical Institute in Kolkata, has been awarded the 2021 DST-ICTP-IMU Ramanujan Prize for Young Mathematicians from developing countries for her outstanding work in affine algebraic geometry and commutative algebra.
Tags: Person in news
1. New Prime minister of Czech Republic
- Petr Fiala was appointed as the Prime Minister of Czech Republic .
2. New CEO of Twitter
- Parag Agrawal, 37, an IIT-Bombay graduate, has replaced Jack Dorsey as the new Twitter chief executive officer, becoming the youngest CEO in top 500 companies.
3. Sweden Prime Minister:
- Magdalena Andersson, who last week was appointed Sweden’s first woman Prime Minister for a few hours, was again re-elected as the Prime Minister by the Swedish Parliament Riksdag.
4. New Chairman of AFAA
Sriniwasan Swamy (a chairman of R K Swamy Hansa group) was elected as a new chairman of Asian Federation of Advertising Associations (AFAA) for a term of four years, at its General Board Meeting held on December 1st.