Climate Change Performance Index: India ranked 10th:
Why in the news?
Recently, India has been placed at 10th place in the global Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) 2022.
About Climate change performance index:
- Published annually since 2005, the Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) tracks countries' efforts to combat climate change. As an independent monitoring tool it aims to enhance transparency in international climate politics and enables comparison of climate protection efforts and progress made by individual countries.
- The Climate Change Performance Index published by Germanwatch, CAN International and the NewClimate Institute evaluates and compares the climate protection performance of 57 countries and the EU.
- The CCPI looks at four categories, with 14 indicators:
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions .
- Renewable Energy.
- Energy Use .
- Climate Policy.
- The 17th edition of the Climate Change Performance Index, compiled by Germanwatch, the New Climate Institute, and the Climate Action Network.
- China is ranked 37 overall and has an overall rating of low.
- The first three ranks of the overall rankings were kept empty because no country had performed well enough in all index categories to achieve an overall very high rating. The first three ranks in the greenhouse gas emissions category, too, were kept empty.
- India is at number 10 with a score of 69.22. It is a high performer except in the renewable energy category, in which it is ranked “medium”.
- In terms of greenhouse gas emissions, Sweden, Egypt, Chile and the UK are in the top 7. India is ranked 10 here, too, with a score of 31.42.
- Overall, Australia, South Korea and Russia and the United States are among the lowest performing countries along with Kazakhstan and Saudi Arabia.
India performance in 2021:
- Renewable Energy: India has been ranked at 27th out of 57 countries under the category this time. Last year, the country was ranked at 26th.
- Greenhouse gas Emissions: Per capita emissions stayed at a comparatively low level. Last year India was ranked 12th.
- Climate Policy: India's performance was rated as medium in 13th place.
Energy use: ndia was ranked high (10th) under this category.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -