Environment Ministry notice to Telangana on Dindi lift irrigation project
Tags: State News
The Ministry of Environment and Forests has recently issued a show cause notice to the Telangana government seeking explanation on the execution of the Sri Ramaraju Vidyasagar Rao Dindi lift irrigation project without taking appropriate environmental clearance from the ministry.
- This was done by the Ministry after the Andhra Pradesh government lodged a complaint with the National Green Tribunal.
- Dindi is a tributary of River Krishna and the Dindi lift irrigation project is located in Nalgonda, Telangana.
- It was aimed to lift 30 tmcft (one thousand million cubic feet) water from the reservoir of Palamuru Rangareddy at Vattem to provide drinking water to fluorosis affected villages of Nalgonda, Mahbubnagar, and Khammam areas and to irrigate about 3.40 lakh acres.
Environment Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) was introduced in India in 1976-77 with respect to river development projects.
- Developmental activities like building of dams, power plants, setting up of Industries etc has a negative impact on the environment. To assess the damage done to the environment EIA was introduced.
- On 27 January 1994 the Union Ministry of Environment and Forest ,under the Environment (Protection) act 1986 promulgated an EIA notification making environment clearance mandatory for any projects mentioned in schedule I category A from the ministry. There are around 30 projects which need Environment Clearance form the Union Ministry after the EIA has been done .
- Andhra Pradesh complained that Telangana government has not sought environment clearance from the Union Ministry of Forest and Environment for river projects under schedule 1 .
- The projects mentioned in category B are to be cleared by the state government.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -