Globally, just 1 in 4 children covered by social protection: UN report

Tags: Reports

According to the United Nations (UN) report, only 26.4 percent of children aged 0-15 yearsare protected by social protection, the remaining 73.6 percent have to live in poverty, exclusion and multidimensional deprivation.

Key findings of the report

  • 2.4 billion children in the world need adequate social protection.

  • About 1.77 billion children aged 0-18 years do not have access to household cash benefits, a fundamental pillar of the social protection system.

  • One billion children live in multidimensional poverty without access to education, health, housing, nutrition, sanitation or clean water.

  • Children with disabilities or children living with a family member with disabilities are more vulnerable to poverty.

  • Social protection policies are powerful tools for reducing poverty for children and their families.

  • Social protection can also protect children from other greater risks such as child labor and forced labor.

India in the report

  • The report states that 31 states in India have implemented the national 'PM Cares for Children' scheme.

  • So far only 4,302 children have received assistance from the scheme.

Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -