India and ASEAN Conference on Traditional Medicines in New Delhi
The Ministry of AYUSH in collaboration with the Ministry of External Affairs and the Indian Mission in ASEAN organized a conference of India and the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) on Traditional Medicines in New Delhi on 20 July 2023.
An Overview of the news:
- Re-held a decade later, the conference pledged to strengthen sustainable and resilient health care systems to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals and universal health coverage.
A total of 75 delegates included:
- A total of 75 delegates from India and ASEAN including two ASEAN countries participated in the conference through virtual mode.
- The Conference on Traditional Medicine between India and ASEAN countries provides a platform to deliberate on various dimensions of traditional systems of medicine to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals and strategize on ways and means to take forward traditional systems of medicine.
Emphasis on Act East Policy:
- India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the 'Act East Policy' at the 12th ASEAN India Summit in Myanmar in November 2014, giving a new impetus to the strategic partnership. The Act-East policy emphasizes connectivity, commerce and culture.
- ASEAN Secretary-General Dr. Cao Kim Horn highlighted three key points that reflect the synergy between ASEAN and India, covering various aspects, including cooperation on public health through traditional and complementary medicines.
Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN):
- It was established to accelerate economic development, social progress and cultural development for a prosperous and peaceful community of Southeast Asian countries.
- Origin: Established in 1967 with the signing of the ASEAN Declaration (Bangkok Declaration).
- ASEAN Day: 8 August.
- Founding countries: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
- Motto: 'One Vision, One Identity, One Community'.
- Secretariat: Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Member States: 10 (Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Brunei, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia).
- India and ASEAN celebrated the 30th anniversary of their dialogue relations.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -