India provides $ 2 lakh assistance to Tsunami hit Tonga
Tags: National News
The Government of India has announced an immediate relief of USD 2 lakh to the Kingdom of Tonga for reconstruction and rehabilitation work.
- The Pacific island country was hit by a Tsunami caused by an undersea Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcanic eruption on 15 January 2022.
- According to American National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) the the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano eruption was hundreds of times stronger than the US atomic bomb dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima in August 1945,
- According to NASA the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano spewed debris as high as 40 kilometres into the atmosphere during the January 15 eruption that triggered huge tsunami waves.
- The volcanic ash blanketed the country having a population of about 100,000 in a layer of toxic ash, poisoning drinking water, destroying crops and completely wiping out at least two villages.
- Neighbouring countries New Zealand, Australia and Japan are providing relief material to the country
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -