Navy takes delivery of guided missile destroyer Visakhapatnam
Why in news?
In October, The first ship of the four Project-15B state-of-the-art stealth guided missile destroyers, Visakhapatnam, being built at the Mazgaon Docks Limited (MDL), was delivered to the Navy.
- It’s equipped with BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles and long-range Surface-to-Air missiles
- The ship has several indigenous weapons systems like medium range SAMs, indigenous torpedo tube launchers, anti-submarine indigenous rocket launchers and 76-mm super rapid gun mount.
- Under the P-15B a total of four warships are planned (Visakhapatnam, Mormugao, Imphal, and Surat).
- These ships are amongst the most technologically advanced Guided Missile Destroyers of the world, with state-of-the-art weapon/sensor package, advanced stealth features and a high degree of automation.
- These ships feature enhanced stealth features over the earlier class through shaping of hull and use of radar transparent deck fittings which make them difficult to detect and also feature significant advances in automation and networking
- These ships are propelled by four gas turbines in Combined Gas and Gas (COGAG) configuration and have maximum endurance of 4000 nm at economical speed of 14 knots,
- The contract for construction of these four ships was signed in 2011.
Other Three Ships:
- The fourth ship (Surat) is under block erection and will be launched within this current financial year (2022).
- The third ship (Imphal) was launched in 2019, and is at an advanced stage of outfitting.
- The second ship of P15B, Mormugao was launched in 2016, and is being readied for harbor trials.
BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles:
- The BrahMos is a medium-range ramjet supersonic cruise missile that can be launched from submarine, ships, aircraft, or land.
- It is the fastest supersonic cruise missile in the world.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -