2020 Padma Awards:
Why in the news?
The President of India presented the Padma awards to 119 recipients for the year 2020 at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The list comprises seven Padma Vibhushans, 10 Padma Bhushans and 102 Padma Shri awards.
- Of the total awardees, 29 were women and one was transgender, while 16 were posthumous awardees.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut and Singer Adnan Sami also received Padma Shri.
- Among the personalities awarded the Padma Vibhushan were BJP stalwarts Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj, former Union minister George Fernandes (all posthumously), and Hindustani classical singer Pandit Chhannulal Mishra.
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented Padma Bhushan award to Olympian badminton player PV Sindhu and Captain of the women's hockey team Rani Rampal was conferred the Padma Shri award 2020.
- Dr Raman Gangakhedkar, former head scientist of ICMR has received the Padma Shri Award 2020.
- Padma Shri award was also given to Air Marshal Dr Padma Bandopadhyay in the field of medicine.
- The Padma Awards are one of the highest civilian honors of India announced annually on the eve of Republic Day.
Note: Except 1978 and 1979 and 1993 to 1997.
- Its objective is to recognize achievements in all fields of activities or disciplines where an element of public service is involved.
- The Awards are given in three categories:
- Padma Vibhushan (for exceptional and distinguished service),
- Padma Bhushan (distinguished service of higher order)
- Padma Shri (distinguished service).
- The Padma Awards are conferred on the recommendations made by the Padma Awards Committee, which is constituted by the Prime Minister every year.
- The nomination process is open to the public. Even self-nomination can be made.
- The Government of India instituted two civilian awards-Bharat Ratna & Padma Vibhushan in 1954. The latter had three classes namely Pahela Varg, Dusra Varg and Tisra Varg. These were later renamed as Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri vide Presidential Notification issued on January 8, 1955.
- All nominations received for Padma Awards are placed before the Padma Awards Committee, which is constituted by the Prime Minister every year.
- The Padma Awards Committee is headed by the Cabinet Secretary and includes Home Secretary, Secretary to the President and four to six eminent persons as members.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -