Inauguration of Global Drug Policy Index
Why in the news?
The inaugural Global Drug Policy Index was released by the Harm Reduction Consortium.
WHAT'S THIS INDEX?
- It is a data-driven global analysis of drug policies and their implementation.
- It is composed of 75 indicators running across five broad dimensions of drug policy:
- Criminal justice
- Extreme responses,
- Health and harm reduction
- Access to internationally controlled medicines
- It is a project of the Harm Reduction Consortium.
The partners are included in this Index:
- The European Network of People Who Use Drugs (EuroNPUD).
- The Eurasian Harm Reduction Association (EHRA).
- The Eurasian Network of People who Use Drugs (ENPUD)
- The Global Drug Policy Observatory (GDPO).
- The International Drug Policy Consortium (IDPC),
- The West African Drug Policy Network (WADPN).The Women and Harm Reduction International Network (WHRIN).
- Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, the UK and Australia as the five leading countries on humane and health-driven drug policies.
- The five lowest-ranking countries are Brazil, Uganda, Indonesia, Kenya, and Mexico.
India’s rank is 18 out of 30 countries.
- India has an overall score of 46/100.
- On the criteria of use of extreme sentencing and responses, it has a score of 63/100,
- On health and harm reduction, 49/100.
- On proportionality of criminal justice response, 38/100.On availability and access of internationally controlled substances for the relief of pain and suffering, 33 /100.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -