1. India hosts LeadIT Summit with Sweden at COP27, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
India and Sweden hosted the LeadIT (Leadership for Industry Transition) Summit, on 15 November 2022 on the side-lines of Conference of Parties (COP) 27 being held in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt from 6-18 November 2022. The initiative focuses on low carbon transition of the industrial sector which is a major source of carbon emission in the world.
Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Bhupender Yadav co-hosted the summit with the Swedish Minister for Climate and the Environment Ms. Romina Pourmokhtari.
Leadership Group for Industry Transition (LeadIT)
The Leadership Group for Industry Transition (LeadIT) was launched by the governments of Sweden and India at the UN Climate Action Summit in September 2019 at New York City, United States of America.
It brings together countries and companies that are committed to action to achieve the 2016 Paris Agreement on reduction of carbon emission.
The LeadIT members are committed to achieving a net zero carbon emission.
2. Union Environment minister Bhupendra Yadav to lead Indian delegation at the COP27 meeting in Egypt
Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Bhupender Yadav will be leading the Indian delegation to attend the 27th Session of Conference of Parties of the UNFCCC (COP 27) scheduled to be held at Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt from 6-18 November, 2022. The last , COP 26 was held in Glasgow, United Kingdom from 31 October to 13 November 2021.
The COP 27 conference is being organized by the Bonn, Germany based United Nation Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) with Egypt being the host country.
Agenda of the conference
The COP 27 will focus on delivering action on a number of issues critical to tackling the climate emergency like;
- urgently reducing greenhouse gas emissions,
- building resilience and adapting to the inevitable impacts of climate change, and
- delivering on the commitments to finance climate action in developing countries.
The theme of the COP 27 is Delivering for People and Planet.
What is Conference of Parties (COP)?
- The United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED), also known as the 'Earth Summit', was held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 3-14 June 1992. The conference focused on the impact of human socio-economic activities on the environment. The countries assembled here agreed to work together to deal with issues of sustainable development and climate change .
- The Rio Earth summit agreed to create the United Nation Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) where the member countries can discuss issues related to global warming and climate change and take steps to deal with these problems .
- It entered into force on 21 March 1994, and has been ratified by 197 countries and territories .
- The countries which has ratified the UNFCCC are called as Parties
- Every year they meet to discuss climate change related issues . These meetings are called Conference of Parties(COP) .
- The first COP was held in 1995 in Berlin, Germany .
- The next COP 27 will be held in Sharm el-Sheikh ,Egypt in 2022.