Anthrax Outbreak In Kerala’s Athirappilly Forest
Tags: State News
Kerala Health Minister Veena George recently confirmed the outbreak of anthrax after several carcasses of wild boar were found at Athirapally in Thrissur district.
Anthrax is a serious infectious disease caused by bacteria.
It is commonly found in the southern states of India. It is found less in the northern states.
The disease has been reported in Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Jammu and Kashmir, Assam, Orissa and Karnataka.
Anthrax is also called Woolsorter's disease or malignant pustules.
It is a rare but serious disease caused by a rod-shaped bacteria called Bacillus anthracis.
These bacteria are naturally found in the soil.
According to WHO, anthrax is a disease of herbivores that affects wild and domestic animals.
It is a zoonotic disease; Thus, it is transferable from animals to humans.
When wild and domestic animals come in contact with contaminated soil, water, they can become infected.
Anthrax infection in humans
Humans become infected with anthrax disease directly or indirectly from animals or animal products.
Humans can become infected when they enter the body through eating contaminated food, drinking contaminated water, breathing or scratching the skin.
Symptoms of anthrax
The first sign is the sudden death of one or two animals within a herd of livestock species such as cattle, sheep or goats.
Symptoms of high fever may be seen.
Swelling, and sudden death with the absence of blood clots are common symptoms in wildlife.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -