Central government appoints Chief Justices of Rajasthan, Karnataka, Jammu and Kashmir Ladakh High Court
The Union Ministry of Law and Justice on 11 October 2022 announced the appointment of the new Chief Justices for the High Courts in Rajasthan, Karnataka, Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh.
Union Minister of Law and Justice Kiren Rijiju informed that Justice Pankaj Mithal has been appointed as Chief Justice in the Rajasthan High Court here. He was earlier the Chief Justice of the Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh High Court.
Justice Prasanna B Varale has been appointed as the Karnataka HC’s Chief Justice. He was the senior most judge of the Bombay High Court.
Justice AM Magrey was elevated as the Chief Justice of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh High Court. Justice AM Magrey was earlier the Judge of the Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh High Court.
The government has announced the appointment after the Supreme Court collegium had recommended their appointment.
Procedure for the appointment of High Court Chief Justice
- Under article 217 of the Indian constitution the Chief Justice of a High Court is appointed by the President in consultation with the Chief Justice of India.
- The Chief Justice of India consults two senior most Judges of the Supreme Court and other Judges who are conversant with the affairs of the concerned High Court.
- The Chief Justice of India will send the recommendation to the Union Minister of Law, Justice.
- The Union Minister of Law, Justice then obtains the views of the concerned State Government. After receipt of the views of the State Government, the Union Minister of Law, Justice and Company Affairs, will submit proposals to the Prime Minister, who will then advise the President as to the selection.
- As soon as the appointment is approved by the President, the Ministry of Law and Justice announces the appointment and issues necessary notification in the Gazette of India.
Seat of High Court
Sanctioned number of Judges
Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh(It is a common High Court of the Union Territory of Jammu And Kashmir and the Union Territory of Ladakh )
Srinagar and Jammu,
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -