DBT-Star College Mentorship Programme:
Why in the news?
Recently, Union Minister Jitendra Singh launched the first-ever mentorship program called the 'DBT-Star College Mentorship Programme for young innovators.
Objectives of the programme:
- The pan-India scheme has been developed with a vision of setting up a ‘Star College’ in every district of India.
- The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) under the Science and Technology Ministry will support every Star College.
- It will help in embracing the concept of networking, hand-holding, and outreach.
- This will enable new colleges that have started their journey under the scheme to come up in line with the mandate of Star college scheme.
What is a star scheme?
- The Star College Scheme was initiated by DBT in 2008 to support colleges and universities offering undergraduate education to improve science teaching across the country.
- On a larger perspective, the scheme was initiated envisioning that it shall encourage more students to take up higher education in science.
- Through this scheme the Department identifies colleges with potential for excellence and provides support for developing infrastructure for academics and laboratory activities.
- Starting with a meagre 30 colleges in 2008, this pan India scheme has supported science departments in more than 300 colleges all over the country till date.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -