Government appoints Lt General Anil Chauhan as the Chief of Defence Staff
Tags: Defence Person in news
The Government of India has appointed Lt General Anil Chauhan (Retired) as the next Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) who shall also function as Secretary to Government of India, Department of Military Affairs with effect from the date of his assumption of charge and until further orders.
The post of the CDS was vacant after the death of the first CDS, General Bipin Rawat, was killed in a helicopter crash on December 8, 2021. General Rawat took over the CDS post on 1 January 2020.
Lt Gen Anil Chauhan was commissioned into the 11 Gorkha Rifles of the Indian Army in 1981. He is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun.
Chief of Defence Staff (CDS)
- The post of the Chief of Defence staff was created by the government on the recommendation of the Kargil Review Committee headed by K. Subramanyam.
- The CDS is a 4 star General whose rank is the same as the chief of the Army, Navy and Air Force.
- He is the military adviser to the Nuclear Command Authority (chaired by the Prime Minister), which handles India’s nuclear arsenal.
- He will ensure the integration of land-air-sea operations through the eventual setting up of theatre commands.
- The CDS remains in office for the period mentioned by the government or retires after attaining the age of 65 years.
- He is not eligible to hold any government office after demitting (resigning) as the CDS.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -