Home Ministry approves the name change of two places in Uttar Pradesh
Tags: place in news State News
The Union Home Ministry on 27 December 2022 gave its consent to change the names of two places in Uttar Pradesh following recommendations from the state government.
The 'no-objection' certificates were issued by the ministry for changing the name of municipal council 'Mundera Baazar' in Gorakhpur district to 'Chauri-Chaura' and that of 'Telia Afghan' village in Deoria district to 'Telia Shukla'.
Procedure to change the name of the cities in a state
- Under Article 3 of the constitution Parliament has the power to change the name of a state.
- However there is no mention of procedure to be followed in case of change in the name of cites of a state in the constitution.
- The procedure which is followed is based on the guidelines issued in 1953 by the Union Home Ministry to the state governments.
- Under these guidelines the state government which wants to change the name of cities has to send the proposal to the Union Ministry of Home Affairs.
- The Home Affairs ministry consults other central agencies like Railways, Intelligence Bureau, Department of Posts, Survey of India, and Registrar General of India.
- After the approval from the agencies, the Home Ministry issues no objection certificate to the concerned state government.
- Only then the state government can change the name of the cities.
Union Minster for Home Affairs : Amit Shah
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -