ICC historic decision for women's cricket
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has taken a historic decision regarding women cricketers in its annual meeting on 13 July 2023.
An Overview of the news:
- Meeting in Durban, South Africa, the ICC announced that equal prize money will now be given to women and men cricketers.
- According to ICC Chairman Greg Barclay, it is an important moment in the history of our game that male and female cricketers competing in ICC's global competitions will now be rewarded equally.
ICC working in this direction since 2017:
- Since 2017, the ICC has been working towards equal prize money.
- Prize money has been increased in women's competitions every year.
- From now on, this decision of ICC will be applicable in all formats of cricket, whether it is Cricket World Cup, T20 World Cup or Under-19 World Cup tournament, the same prize money will be given as ICC male cricketers.
Difference in prize money of male and female cricketers:
- In the 2019 Men's Cricket World Cup, Champions England got 28.4 crores while runners-up New Zealand got 14.2 crores.
- In comparison, the Women's ODI World Cup winning team got $1.5 million (Rs 12.30 crore) from the 2017 tournament in England.
Amount paid to the winning team in the last Women's World Cup:
- The prize money for the ICC Women's ODI World Cup 2022 was also $3.5 million (Rs 28.71 crore).
- The winner and runner-up were given the same prize money in the ICC Women's T20 World Cup 2020 and 2023. Over the years the winning team received one million dollars (Rs 8.2 crore) and five lakh dollars (Rs 4.1 crore), five times the amount given in 2018.
To be implemented in 2030:
- This ensures that the ICC Board has met its commitment to bring about parity in prize money by 2030, well ahead of schedule.
There will be equality in match fees as well:
- The ICC has announced that teams will now receive equal prize money for finishing in the same positions in relatively similar events, as well as winning matches in those events.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -