India to diplomatically boycott Beijing Winter olympics
Tags: National News
The Ministry of External Affairs has announced that India will diplomatically boycott the 24th Winter Olympics to be held in Beijing, China from 4 to 20 February 2022. It means that no Indian government officials will participate in the opening and the closing ceremony of the event. The Prasar Bharti Chief Executive Officer, Shashi Shekhar Vempati has also announced that Doordarshan will not telecast the opening and the closing ceremony of the game.
- India announced this move after China included a regiment commander, Qi Fabao of the People Liberation Army (PLA) involved in the June 15, 2020 clash with the Indian Army in Galwan as one of the torch bearers of the Winter Olympics.
- However the only Indian player, Arif Khan of Jammu and Kashmir, will compete in the Slalom and Giant Slalom event.
- The US, Australia,Canada, United Kingdom, Japan and New Zealand are also diplomatically boycotting the Beijing Winter Olympics over protest against the Chinese government treatment of Ugyher muslims in China and their human rights violation .
- Japan though has not officially announced a diplomatic boycott of the Olympics but as a protest against the human rights abuse in China, it is not sending any official delegation to the game .
- However, athletes from these countries will participate in the games.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -