Justice Sheo Kumar Singh becomes NGT acting chairman
The Central Government has authorized Justice Sheo Kumar Singh-I, Judicial Member of the National Green Tribunal (NGT), to act as the Chairperson of the Tribunal till a new Chairperson is appointed.
An Overview of the news:
- Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel who was appointed as the Chairman in July 2018; Retired on 6 July 2023.
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change issued a notification on 6 July 2023 authorizing Justice Sheo Kumar Singh-I to act as the Chairperson.
- He was appointed as a judicial member of NGT in 2020. He is currently working as Judicial Member in the Central Zone Bench of Bhopal.
Career of Justice Sheo Kumar Singh-I:
- Shri Singh-I graduated from Allahabad University in 1975.
- Passed out as a Law graduate from Allahabad University in the year 1978.
- Joined judicial service in 1984 and worked as District Judge, Registrar (Judicial) in various districts of Uttar Pradesh.
- He was appointed Supervisor of Ram Janmabhoomi, Ayodhya, Faizabad.
- He was elevated as a judge in Allahabad and served there till January 2018.
National Green Tribunal (NGT):
- India is the third (first developing) country in the world after Australia and New Zealand to set up a Special Environment Tribunal.
- Establishment: On 18th October, 2010 under the National Green Tribunal Act, 2010.
- Objective: To speed up disposal of environmental issues.
- Headquarters: Delhi (Four Regional Offices - Bhopal, Pune, Kolkata and Chennai).
- Settlement of issues: Settlement of environmental issues within 6 months.
- Composition: Consists of Chairperson, Judicial Members and Expert Members.
- Appointment of Chairperson: By the Central Government in consultation with the Chief Justice of India.
- Tenure: Term of three years or till the age of sixty five years and not eligible for reappointment.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -