Kalinga Institute of Social Science (KISS) has won the UNESCO King Sejong Literacy Prize 2022
The Kalinga Institute of Social Science (KISS) has won the UNESCO King Sejong Literacy Prize 2022 for its Mother Tongue Based Multilingual Education. It was awarded this prize on 8 September 2022 at the international Literacy convention of UNESCO in the African country of Côte d’Ivoire.
It was awarded a diploma, a medal & an endowment of US$20,000.
IMPORTANT FACTS -
2021 prize winner :
- In 2021 it was awarded to the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS), under the Union Ministry of Education.
- Every year 8 September is observed as International Literacy day.
Kalinga Institute of Social Science (KISS) :
- Kalinga Institute of Social Science (KISS) is an NGO based in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha.
- KISS was set up in 1993 with an aim to promote inclusive education, women empowerment, tribal uplift and sustainable development.
- It is now the world’s largest residential education institution for tribal children.
- KISS is the first exclusive tribal University in the World.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION -
UNESCO King Sejong Literacy Prize :
- It was set up in 1989 with the support of the Government of the Republic of Korea.
- The literary prize honours King Sejong, who made significant contributions to the development of ‘Hangul’, the Korean alphabet, over 500 years ago.
- The prize is awarded to governments, governmental agencies or nongovernmental organizations displaying merit and achieving effective results in the fight for universal literacy.
- The award comprises a silver medal, a diploma and a cheque for USD 20,000.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -