Shri Narendra Goenka takes over as new Chairman of AEPC
Tags: Person in news
Narendra Kumar Goenka, founder and managing director of Texport Industries Pvt Ltd, today took charge as the new chairman of the Apparel Export Promotion Council (AEPC). Goenka succeeds Padma Shri Dr. A Sakthivel as AEPC chairman.
- AEPC is the official body of apparel exporters in India, under the aegis of the Union Ministry of Textiles, that provides invaluable assistance to Indian exporters as well as importers/international buyers.
Figures from the Indian Textile Sector
- The Indian textile industry contributes to about 7% of the industry output (in value terms) and around 15% of India’s export earnings.
- The top global export destination countries for Indian Textiles are USA, UAE, Bangladesh, UK, and Germany.
- About 50% of India’s textiles import is Fibre and Yarn used for the value addition. The maximum textile and apparel imports come from China followed by USA and Bangladesh.
- In FY 2020-21 there was a deceleration in textile exports due to pandemic disrupting the supply chain and demand.
- During April-December, 2021 the total Textiles & Apparel including Handicrafts exports was US$ 29.8 billion as compared to US$ 21.2 billion for the same period last year. This implies robust growth of approximately 41% over last year.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -