Supreme Court appoints Justice ‘L Nageswara Rao’ to frame the constitution of IOA and oversee its election
The Supreme Court on 22 September 2022, has appointed former Supreme Court judge L Nageswara Rao to prepare a road map for amending the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) constitution and conducting the election of the IOA by December 15, 2022.
This move of the court comes after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on September 8 issued a final warning to IOA to “resolve its governance issues” and hold elections by December, failing which the world sports body will ban India.
IMPORTANT FACTS -
Background to the Issue :
- The IOA President Narendra Batra had to resign after the Delhi High Court ruled on 26 May 2022 that provision of life membership and life president in Hockey India was illegal.
- Narendra Batra contested and won the election of the IOA in 2017.
- He contested the election as being the Life Member and Life President in Hockey India.
- The Supreme Court upheld the Delhi high court order and asked the IOA to frame a new constitution which was in conformity with the National Sports guidelines of the country.
- However this move of the Court was seen as an interference by the IOC and it warned that it will suspend IOA.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -