Telecom Technology Development Fund scheme launched by Universal Service Obligation Fund
Tags: Science and Technology Economics/Business
The Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF), a body under the Department of Telecommunications, officially launched the Telecom Technology Development Fund (TTDF) Scheme on 1st October 2022, to promote indigenous telecom technology.
Aim of the Telecom Technology Fund
It aims to fund Research and Development in rural-specific communication technology applications and form synergies among academia, start-ups, research institutes, and the industry to build and develop the telecom ecosystem.
The scheme aims to promote technology ownership and indigenous manufacturing, create a culture of technology co-innovation, reduce imports, and boost export opportunities and creation of Intellectual Property.
The scheme entails grants to Indian entities to encourage and induct indigenous technologies tailor-made to meet domestic needs.
What is USOF (Universal Service Obligation Fund)
- To provide good quality telecom service in rural and inaccessible areas where the private sector won’t go due to low profit or loss, the government of India came up with the Policy of Universal Service obligation.
- Under this policy a Universal Service obligation Fund was set up which will provide funds for creating telecom facility in the rural and inaccessible areas.
- Every private telecom companies has to pay a certain percentage of its income to this fund.
- The Universal Service Support Policy came into effect from 01.04.2002.
- USOF comes under the Department of Telecommunication, Ministry of Communication, and Government of India.
- The infrastructure created under USOF comes under Government-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -