1000 Khelo India center to be set up by 2023: Anurag Thakur
Speaking at a function in Mumbai, the Union Ministry for Youth Affairs and Sports, Anurag Thakur on 18 September 2022 said that one thousand Khelo India sports centers will be set up in the country by 2023. He said that the government has so far approved 590 centers.
IMPORTANT FACTS -
Khelo India Sports Center Scheme :
- The Khelo India Centers have been launched by the Union Sports Ministry in partnership with the state governments to ensure the availability of grassroots-level sports infrastructure across the country.
- In June 2020 the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports had announced plans to set up 1000 new Khelo India Centers, all over India. At least each district of the country will have one Khelo India Sports Center.
- An exception has been made for the North-East states, Jammu & Kashmir, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep and Ladakh where two centers are to be established per district.
What will the Khelo India Sports Center Do ?
- The center will focus on developing sports infrastructure and provide training to the sportsperson in one discipline.
- The respective state governments will have to hire former athletes to facilitate the management of these centers in a proposed low-cost and effective sports training mechanism.
- The central government will provide financial assistance for the remuneration of the past champion athletes as coach, support staff, purchase of equipment, sports kits, consumables, participation in competition and events.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -