Delhi airport becomes India's first airport to be fully hydro and solar powered

Tags: National News

Delhi's Indira Gandhi International Airport has become the first airport in India to be fully hydro and solar powered.

  • The move is part of the airport's goal to achieve the goal of 'Net Zero Carbon Emission Airport' by 2030.

  • Since June 1, about 6 percent of the airport's electricity requirement is being met from on-site solar power plants, while the remaining 94 percent is coming from a hydroelectric power plant.

  • For hydropower, Delhi International Airport Limited has signed a Long Term Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with a hydroelectric generating company from Himachal Pradesh to supply hydro electricity to the airport by 2036.

  • The airport has a 7.84 MW solar power plant, while it recently added another 5.3 MW rooftop solar power plant to the cargo terminal as part of a stakeholder collaboration.

  • This transition to renewable energy is expected to help the airport reduce carbon dioxide energy emissions by 2 million tonnes per year.

  • In the year 2020, Delhi airport became the first airport in the Asia-Pacific region to achieve 'Level 4+' under ACI's Airport Carbon Accreditation Program.


  • Civil Aviation Minister - Jyotiraditya M. Scindia

  • Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru (BLR Airport) was adjudged the best regional airport in India and South Asia.

Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -