Indigenous Light Combat Helicopter to join IAF helicopter fleet in October
The Indian Air Force helicopter fleet will be boosted with the induction of the indigenously developed Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) at Jodhpur, Rajasthan on 3 October 2022. The LCH has been manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
IMPORTANT FACTS -
Capability of LCH :
- According to HAL, the LCH is the only attack helicopter in the world that can land and take-off at an altitude of 5,000 m (16400 feet) with a considerable load of weapons and fuel. It has been made to meet the requirement of the armed forces operating in the high altitude area of Ladakh and Siachen.
- It is suited to perform the roles of search and rescue, destruction of enemy air defence, counter insurgency operations, combat against slow moving aircraft etc.
Limited Series production :
- In March 2022 the Union Government had approved the manufacturing of 15 limited series LCH for the Army and the Air force .Of the 15 limited series production helicopters approved, 10 are for the IAF and five for the army.
- The light combat helicopter Limited Series Production (LSP) is an indigenously designed, developed, and manufactured state-of-the-art modern combat helicopter. It has an indigenous content of 45% that will increase to more than 55% in the further series.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION -
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) :
- It was set up as Hindustan Aircraft Limited by Walchand Hirachand in 1940 at Bangalore (now Bengaluru), Karnataka.
- It was taken over by the government of India and merged with Aeronautics India limited and was renamed as Hindustan Aeronautics Limited on 1 October 1964.
- Its main business is to design, develop, manufacture, repair and overhaul of aircraft, helicopters, engines and related systems like avionics, instruments and accessories.
- It comes under the Ministry of Defence.
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -