International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers - 29 May
Tags: Important Days
The International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers is observed annually on 29 May.
An Overview of the News
- It is a day dedicated to honouring the contribution and sacrifice of United Nations (UN) peacekeepers.
- The day recognizes the efforts of peacekeepers in maintaining peace and security around the world.
- It also serves as a tribute to those who have lost their lives while serving as peacekeepers.
- The theme for the 75th anniversary of the International Day of UN Peacekeepers 2023 is "Peace begins with me".
- The theme acknowledges the service and sacrifice of peacekeepers, both past and present.
History of International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers
- It was established by the United Nations General Assembly in 2002.
- It aims to honour and remember the brave peacekeepers who lost their lives in the pursuit of global peace.
- May 29, 1948, marks the establishment of the first UN peacekeeping mission.
- On that day, the United Nations Security Council authorised the creation of the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO).
- UNTSO's purpose was to oversee the implementation of the ceasefire in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict.
- The establishment of UNTSO laid the foundation for subsequent peacekeeping efforts by the United Nations around the world.
United Nations Truce Supervision Organization
Head: Major General Patrick Gauchat
Established: 29 May 1948
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -