National Commission for Safai Karamcharis gets 3 years extension
Tags: National News
The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the extension of the tenure of the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK) for three years beyond 31.3.2022.
- The total cost of the extension for three years would be approximately Rs.43.68 crore
- The NCSK was first established in the year 1993 as per the provisions of the NCSK Act 1993
- The NCSK Act ceased to have effect from 29.2.2004. After that, the tenure of the NCSK has been extended as a non-statutory body from time to time through resolutions
- The NCSK has been giving its recommendations to the Government regarding specific programmes for the welfare of Safai Karamcharis, study and evaluate the existing welfare programmes for Safai Karamcharis, investigate cases of specific grievances, etc.
- Also as per the provisions of the Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act, 2013, the NCSK has been assigned the work to monitor the implementation of the Act, tender advice for its effective implementation to the Centre and State Governments and enquire into complaints regarding contravention/non-implementation of the provisions of the Act.
- Current Chairperson of NCSK: MR. M. Venkatesh.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -