NTPC top Biomass user in India
Tags: National News
According to the Union Power Ministry , National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) has emerged as a leader in biomass users having used approx. 58,000 Metric Tonnes (MT) of biomass for the production of power in its thermal power plant.
- According to the Union Power ministry , approximately 59,000 metric tonnes (MT) of biomass has been co-fired in thermal power plants in the country.
- The Ministry of Power's policy on “Biomass Utilization for Power Generation through Co-firing in Coal based Power Plants” issued in October 2021 mandates all thermal power plants in the country to use 5 to 10% biomass along with coal for power production.
Sustainable Agrarian Mission on use of Agro Residue in Thermal Power
Plants (SAMARTH ) was launched by the Government of India in 2021 .
Under SAMARTH the Union Ministry of power launched the National Mission on Use of Biomass in coal based thermal Power Plants.
- It was launched by the Government of India to reduce stubble burning and to reduce carbon footprint of Thermal Power Plants while increasing the income of farmers.
- The farmers are encouraged to sell their crop residues,stubble to the power plants and earn extra income instead of burning in the field which increases pollution.
- Thermal power plants are encouraged to use crop residue along with coal for production of power. It will reduce the use of coal for power generation and consequently lesser amounts of carbon will be produced.
Biomass is plant or animal matter which is used for production of power or heat . For example , woods, cow dung , crops residue etc.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -