National Fish Farmers Day: 10 July
Tags: Important Days
National Fish Farmers Day is celebrated every year on 10th July to honour and support the work of fish farmers, fishermen and other stakeholders associated with fisheries in India.
An Overview of the news:
- In the year 2023, the 23rd National Fish Farmers Day is being celebrated across the country.
- On July 10, 1957, for the first time, Dr. Hiralal Chowdhary and Dr. Alikunhi were successful in extracting carp pituitary hormones in successful induced breeding of major carps at Angul, Odisha.
- It was on the same day that the two scientists demonstrated Hypophysation, a technique to induce reproduction in Indian Major Carps.
- Every year on July 10, Fish Farmers Day is celebrated in the country to mark this contribution of scientists.
Beginning of National Fish Farmers Day:
- July 10, 2001 was designated as National Fisheries Day by the Government of India.
- After this, in 2001, the Indian Council of Agricultural Research organized the country's first National Fish Farmer's Day function. Along with this, the leading institute in the field of fisheries education - Central Institute of Fisheries Education also joined.
- The day aims to raise awareness of the need to change the way the country manages its fisheries resources to ensure sustainable fisheries stocks and robust ecosystems.
Organization of National Fish Farmers Day 2023:
- An exhibition of 30 extraordinary startups from across the country will be organized to showcase the best of the fisheries innovators in the country at the National Fish Farmers Day 2023 celebration event at Mahabalipuram on July 10, 2023.
Important facts related to fishing industry:
- According to the statistics of the National Fisheries Development Board, the export revenue of Rs 334.41 billion has been received from the fisheries industry alone.
- The fisheries industry contributes 7% to India's gross domestic product (GDP).
- India is the second major aquaculture working country in the world.
- India is the third largest producer of fish in the world.
- Gujarat ranks first in the production of marine fish in the country.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -