Nicaragua cut its diplomatic relation with Taiwan
Tags: International News
- The Central American countryNicaragua has become the latest country to cut diplomatic ties with Taiwan in favour of China.
- The decision was praised by China, which demands that any country that wants diplomatic relations with it must cut existing ties with Taipei.
- Beijing sees Taiwan as a breakaway province to be reunified with the mainland one day.
- However, Taiwan sees itself as a democratically-governed, independent country, though it has never formally declared independence from the mainland.
- Taiwan's list of international allies has dwindled from 21 down to 14 since President Tsai Ing-wen took office in May 2016.
- Before Nicaragua, the Pacific Island nations of Kiribati and the Solomon Islands were the latest countries to cut ties with Taiwan in favour of China in 2019.
Capital of Nicaragua: Managua
President of Nicaragua : Daniel Ortega
Capital of Taiwan : Taipei
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -