Government set up Kirit Parikh committee to review the gas pricing formula to tame inflation
The Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas on 6 September 2022, has set up a committee to review the pricing formula for locally produced gas to ensure a "fair price to the end consumer".
IMPORTANT FACTS -
Chairman of the committee :
- The committee will be headed by former planning commission member Kirit Parikh.
- It will include members from the fertiliser ministry, as well as gas producers and buyers.
Reason for setting up of the committee :
- The committee will suggest pricing of locally produced natural gas so as to lower inflation in the country and boost the use of cleaner fuel.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi wants to raise the share of gas in India's energy mix to 15% by 2030 from 6.2%, helping it progress towards meeting a 2070 net zero carbon-emission goal.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION -
Fixing of natural gas price in India :
- In 2014 the government linked the local gas price to a formula tied to global benchmarks, including Henry Hub, Alberta gas, NBP and Russian gas.
- In 2016 the government began fixing the maximum prices of gas produced from deep water and allowed marketing freedom to the producer of these gasses.
- ONGC and Reliance are the major producers of deep water natural gas in India.
- The prices of natural gases are now at a record high in India and abroad, and are expected to rise further due to the Russia-Ukraine conflict. This is expected to increase inflation further in India.
Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas : Hardeep Singh Puri.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -