Deadly Shigella bacteria cause Kerala food poisoning cases

Tags: State News

Recently, 58 people became ill after eating food from a dhaba and one girl died. Shigella sonnei bacteria are believed to be the reason behind the incident of suspected food poisoning in Kasaragod district of Kerala.

  • Since the test results found the presence of Shigella sonnei bacteria, the water source used for the restaurant will be inspected.

  • Steps are being taken to conduct diarrhoea surveys, chlorination of drinking water sources and cleanliness checks at food preparation and distribution centres as part of preventive measures.

  • However, the presence of E.coli and coliform bacteria were found in the food samples.

  • Testing to check the presence of shigella and salmonella bacteria is under way.

  • About Shigella sonnei bacteria

  • Shigella sonnei is a species of Shigella.

  • Along with Shigella flexneri, it is responsible for 90% of cases of shigellosis.

  • Shigella sonnei is named after Danish bacteriologist Karl Olaf Sonne.

  • It is a Gram-negative, rod-shaped, nonmotile, non-spore forming bacterium.

  • Shigella is one of the leading bacterial causes of diarrhoea and intestinal infection worldwide.

  • Some common symptoms of Shigella infection include diarrhoea, abdominal pain, fever, vomiting, fatigue, and blood in the stool.

  • It is spread through contaminated food and water and can also be spread by direct contact with faeces from an infected person.

Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -