Guru Nanak Jayanti 2021:
Why in the news?
It was celebrated on 19 November 2021. This year, the 552nd birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev Ji was celebrated.
- On this day of Guru Nanak Jayanti, the followers of Guru Nanak celebrate his legacy, achievements and honour his preaching.
Guru Nanak Jayanti:
- It is one of the sacred festivals of Sikhs and is celebrated with utmost love and enthusiasm.
- According to the Hindu calendar, it falls on a full moon day in the month of Kartik Puranmashi.
- Guru Nanak Jayanti is a three-day festival that is celebrated full of excitement.
- Two days prior to the birthday of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, the Akhand Path is held in the Gurudwaras. In this path, 48 hours of non-stop reading is done of the Guru Granth Sahib, the religious book of the Sikh religion.
Guru Nanak ji:
- Birth: He was born In 1469 at Talwandi Rai Bhoe village near Lahore, which was later renamed as Nankana Sahib.
- He was the first of the 10 gurus of Sikhism.
- Death: In 1539 Kartarpur (Now in Pakistan)
- To spread his teachings, he travelled across South Asia and the Middle East. His teachings were immortalised in the form of 974 hymns which are mentioned in the Guru Granth Sahib, the sacred book of the Sikh religion.
- Guru Nanak Dev is known for his connection to God through prayer and his teachings didn’t encourage sacrifices.
- His teachings were compiled into the sacred book known as Guru Granth Sahib.
- The entire Sikhism revolved around this religious text which was believed as the final, sovereign, and eternal Guru for Sikhs. The idea behind the book is the belief that the creator of the universe is one.
- Advocated the 'Nirguna' (devotion to and worship of formless divine) form of bhakti.
- Sikhism preaches selfless service to humanity, prosperity, and social justice for all, irrespective of the differences they have.
- Guru Nanak Devji’s teachings of three principles — Kirat Karo (earn an honest living), Naam Japo (meditate) and Vand Chako (share with the needy).
- When he formed Sikhism, he emphasized One God (Ek Onkar). The importance of the teachings of Guru Nanak Dev Ji is to believe in your good karma and ONE higher power.
- Guruji believed in equality and brotherhood. He considered everyone is equal, regardless of their rank, color, race, caste, religion, gender or status.
- According to him, "Women as well as men share the grace of God and are equally responsible for their actions to him.
- Guru ji mentioned five evils residing in the human mind/body.
- Nanak Naam Chardi Kala, Tere Bhane Sarbat Da Bhala“, which means Nanak asks for a name, which blesses all with prosperity, health, happiness and all well things.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -