Volker Türk appointed new UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has appointed Volker Turk of Austria as the next United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, following approval by the General Assembly on 8 September 2022.
IMPORTANT FACTS -
- Turk will succeed Michelle Bachelet of Chile, who served as High Commissioner from September 1, 2018 through August 31, 2022.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
- The High Commissioner for Human Rights is the principal human rights official of the United Nations.
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights is accountable to the Secretary-General of the United Nations and is responsible for all the activities of OHCHR, as well as for its administration.
- The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) also known as the UN Human Rights Office , is mandated to promote and protect all human rights established in the UN Charter and in international human rights laws and treaties.
- The headquarters of the OHCHR: Geneva, Switzerland.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -