Accidental Death and Suicided Report 2020
Tags: National News
The National Crimes Records Bureau (NCRB) released its report on ‘Accidental Deaths and Suicides in India’ (ASDI) for 2020.
Highlights of the report:
- The road accidents and related deaths fell in the pandemic year, the number of deaths by suicides rose by 10% from 2019, taking the total figure to an all-time high of 1,53,052.
- The coronavirus lockdown led to a fall in deaths caused by accidents. Accidental deaths fell by 11% from 2019 to 2020 to 374, 397, the lowest figure since 2009.
- The number of deaths by suicide per lakh population in 2020 stands at 11.3%, up from 10.4% in 2019.
- Daily wage earners made up the largest proportion of people who died by suicide in the country in 2020 at 24.6%, according to the ASDI report.
- Tamil Nadu was the state with the highest number of deaths by suicides among daily wage earners with 6,495, followed by Madhya Pradesh (4,945), Maharashtra (4,176), Telangana (3,831) and Gujarat (2,745).
National Crime Records Bureau(NCRB)
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -