Bhutan’s King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck meets Narendra Modi in New Delhi
Tags: Person in news
The visiting Bhutan’s King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck met the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 14 September 2022 in New Delhi .He also met the Foreign Secretary Vinay Kwatra and National Security Advisor, Ajit Doval.
IMPORTANT FACTS -
India Bhutan Relationship :
- India Bhutan relation is guided by 1949 treaty of Perpetual Peace and Friendship. Under this treaty India will guide Bhutan in its Foreign Affairs and will pay an annual subsidy to Bhutan . The government of India will not interfere in the internal affairs of Bhutan. The Treaty was revised in 2007.
Economic relations :
- The trade between the two countries is governed by the India-Bhutan Trade and Transit Agreement of 1972.
- India is Bhutan's largest trading partner.
- India has constructed three Hydroelectric Projects (HEPs) in Bhutan: Chukha, Kurichhu, and Tala. These power plants are operational and Bhutan exports electricity to India.
- Recently, India has completed a 720 MW Mangdechhu Hydroelectric Power Project and both sides are expediting the completion of other ongoing projects including the 1200MW Punatsangchhu-1 & 1020MW Punatsangchhu-2 .
- Bhutan was the first country to receive the Covishield vaccines under India's Vaccine Maitri Initiative.
Kingdom of Bhutan :
- It lies in South Asia and it is a member of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC).
- The Bhutanese name for Bhutan, Druk Yul, means "Land of the Thunder Dragon"
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION -
The King of Bhutan is also called Druk Gyalpo.
Capital : Thimphu
Currency : Ngultrum
Prime Minister : Lotay Tshering
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -