Chinese President Xi Jinping on a first trip outside China in over two years
China has announced that the Chinese President Xi Jinping will be on an official visit to Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan from Sep 14 - 16 and attend the summit meeting of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) in the Uzbek city of Samarkand.
IMPORTANT FACTS -
- India will take over the SCO Presidency from Uzbekistan at the summit.
- It is for the first time that President Xi is leaving China for abroad in the last two years since the onset of covid in China.
- It is not clear whether he will meet Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit Uzbekistan on September 15-16 to attend the SCO Summit.
- Samarkand Summit would be the first in-person SCO summit since 2019.
Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) :
- The Shanghai Cooperation Organization came into existence on June 15, 2001 after the expansion of the 'Shanghai Five'.
- The Shanghai Five was formed in 1996 by Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.
- After the entry of Uzbekistan into the organization in the year 2001, 'Shanghai-5' was named SCO.
- In the year 2017, India and Pakistan got the status of its member.
- SCO has four observer states ;Iran, Mongolia, Belarus and Afghanistan
- It has six dialogue partner states; Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cambodia, Nepal, Turkey and Sri Lanka.
Full From :
SCO : Shanghai Cooperation Organization
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -