Gaganyaan first test flight in 2022: Dr Jitendra Singh
Tags: Science and Technology
Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Science and Technology Dr Jitendra Singh has said that India's first human space-flight mission Gaganyaan is expected to be launched in 2024.
He said that the government had planned the human space flight in 2022 itself to commemorate the 75 years of Independence but due to Covid it couldn't be completed.
The first test flight of the mission is expected this year. The first test-flight will be followed by sending a female-looking spacefaring humanoid robot ‘Vyom Mitra’ in outer space likely next year,
IMPORTANT FACTS -
Gaganyaan Mission :
- The Gaganyaan mission was announced by the Prime Minister in his Independence Day speech in 2018 with a budget of Rs 10,000 crore.
- Four Indian Air Force pilots have been identified as crew for the mission who are undergoing training in Russia.
- Indian Space research Organisation (ISRO) intends to send at least 2 astronauts in low earth orbit in 2024.
Human Space Flight :
- At present only three countries, the United States, Russia and China have the capability to launch manned space missions.
- The first person to go into space was Yury Gagarin of the Soviet Union on 12 April 1961 onboard the Vostok Rocket.
- The first woman to go into space was Valentina Tereshkova of the Soviet Union on 16 June 1963 onboard the Vostok 6 Rocket.
- Wing Commander Rakesh Sharma is the only Indian to go into space. He was part of the Soviet mission aboard Soyuz T-11 on 3 April 1984.
- Humans who travel in space are called astronauts. The Chinese call them Taikonauts and the Russians call them Cosmonauts.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION -
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) :
- It was set up on 15 August 1969
- It is India's national space agency.
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Chairman: S.Somanath
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -