Dr. Zafrullah Chowdhary passed away in Dhaka
Tags: Person in news
Dr. Zafrullah Chowdhary passed away on April 13, 2023 in Dhaka at the age of 81.
An Overview of the News
- Dr. Zafarullah Chowdhury was a renowned public health activist and vascular surgeon and established the Gnosasthya Center in 1972 to provide affordable and quality treatment to the underprivileged in Bangladesh.
- Gnosasthya Kendra has expanded into a network of seven hospitals and 50 sub-centres, providing affordable healthcare services to the people of Bangladesh.
- Dr. Zafarullah has received international acclaim for his work in the field of public health, having been awarded the Ramon Magsaysay Award in 1985 and the Right Livelihood Award in 1992.
- He was known as the "Poor People's Doctor" for his excellent work in providing health services to the poor.
- He established a large field hospital near Melaghar in Tripura during the Bangladesh Liberation War to treat war-injured freedom fighters and refugees.
- In 1977, he was awarded the Freedom Award, the highest civilian award in Bangladesh.
- It is located in South Asia and is bordered by India to the north, east and west and Myanmar to the southeast.
- The country is home to several major rivers, including the Padma (Ganges), the Meghna and the Jamuna, which flow through the country and form important fertile plains for agriculture.
- Capital - Dhaka
- Currency - Bangladeshi taka
- Official languages - Bengali, English
- Population -16.94 crore (2021) World Bank
- Prime Minister - Sheikh Hasina
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -