India's Antim Pangal wins silver medal at Asian Wrestling Championships
India's wrestler, Antim Pangal won the silver medal in the 53 kg category at the 2023 Asian Wrestling Championships held in Astana, Kazakhstan.
An Overview of the News
- In the final match, Pangal lost to Akari Fujinami of Japan.
- Apart from Pangal's silver medal, four other Indian wrestlers also won bronze medals: Anshu Malik (57 kg), Sonam Malik (62 kg), Manisha (65 kg) and Ritika (72 kg).
- The Asian Wrestling Championships is an annual wrestling competition organised by the Asian Wrestling Federation (AWF).
- The championships consist of men's freestyle, men's Greco-Roman and women's freestyle wrestling events.
- The first Asian Wrestling Championship was held in 1979 in Tehran, Iran.
- The championship was cancelled in 1984 for political reasons.
- The championship was cancelled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The championship has been held every year since its inception, except in 1984 and 2020.
- It is a Central Asian country that was once a part of the Soviet Union. It became an independent nation in 1991 after the dissolution of the Soviet Union.
- The country is the ninth largest country in the world by land area, stretching from the Caspian Sea in the west to the Altai Mountains in the east.
- The capital of Kazakhstan is Nur-Sultan, which was renamed from Astana in 2019. It is a modern city known for its futuristic architecture.
- Almaty is the largest city in Kazakhstan and an important cultural and economic centre. It was the capital of Kazakhstan until 1997 when the government was moved to Astana.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -