International Day of Democracy
Tags: Important Days
Every year 15 September is observed as the International Day of Democracy. The International Day of Democracy provides an opportunity to review the state of democracy in the world.
According to the United Nations, democracy is a universally recognized ideal and is one of the core values and principles of the United Nations. Democracy provides an environment for the protection and effective realization of human rights.
IMPORTANT FACTS -
Background of the Day :
- In 2007 the United Nations general Assembly passed a resolution to observe 15 September as International Day of Democracy.
- The first International Day of Democracy was observed on 15 September 2008.
Theme 2022 :
- The theme of the International Day of Democracy 2022: Protecting Press Freedom for Democracy
- The theme focuses on the importance of media freedom to democracy, peace, and delivering on the Sustainable Development Goals. According to the Democracy Index 2021 report of the Economic Intelligence Unit, India was ranked as 46th amongst 167 countries. Norway was at the top and it was considered as the most democratic country in the world.
- The American President Abraham Lincoln said, "Democracy is a rule of the people, for the people and by the people".
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -