PM Modi launches Big Cat Alliance for conservation of seven cats
Tags: National News
On April 9, 2023, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the International Big Cats Alliance (IBCA) in Karnataka.
An Overview of the News
- IBCA focuses on the conservation of seven species of big cats, including tigers, lions, leopards, cheetahs, jaguars, snow leopards, and clouded leopards.
- The alliance seeks to bring together countries, conservationists and experts from around the world to collaborate on conservation efforts for these seven big cat species.
- The purpose of the alliance is to facilitate collaboration between governments, NGOs and the private sector to create sustainable solutions for conservation.
- The introduction of the IBCA is an important step towards the conservation of these magnificent animals, as their populations face unprecedented threats from habitat loss, poaching and human-animal conflicts.
- It is a state in southwest India and is bordered by Maharashtra to the north, Goa to the northwest, Andhra Pradesh to the east, Tamil Nadu to the southeast, and Kerala to the southwest.
- The state has a varied landscape, with the Arabian Sea to its west and the Western Ghats to its east.
- Bengaluru, the capital of Karnataka, is known as the "Silicon Valley of India" and is a major centre of technology and innovation.
- Hampi, located in northern Karnataka, was once the capital of the Vijayanagara Empire and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Destinations in Karnataka include the hill station of Coorg, the beach town of Gokarna and the historic city of Bijapur.
- Kannada is the official language of Karnataka, although English and Hindi are also widely spoken.
Chief Minister - Basavaraj Bommai
Governor - Thawar Chand Gehlot
Official Animal - Indian Elephant
Official Bird - Indian Roller
Official Dance - Yakshagana
Official Song - Jaya Bharat Jananiya Tanujate
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -