Purvanchal Expressway: UP
Why in the news?
Recently, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Purvanchal Expressway.
- It aims at development of futuristic industrial cities in India which can compete with the best manufacturing and investment destinations in the world.
- Purvanchal Expressway is a stretch of about 341-kms.
- It starts from Chandsarai village, in Lucknow district and it ends at Haidaria village on National Highway 31 in Ghazipur, 18 km from the UP-Bihar border, in Ghazipur district.
- It is the longest expressway in India.
- It comprises a 3.2 km long airstrip at Akhalkiri Karwat village near in Sultanpur district for emergency landing of aircrafts.
- It will have CNG stations, electric recharge stations for vehicles and will be connected with the defense corridor through the Agra and Bundelkhand expressways.
- An industrial corridor is basically a corridor consisting of multi-modal transport services that would pass through the states as main arteries.
- It is currently a six-lane wide highway and can be expanded to eight-lane in the future.
- This project was announced by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav in May 2015 as Lucknow-Azamgarh-Ballia Expressway.
- Later, Yogi Adityanath government changed the routes to Lucknow-Azamgarh-Ghazipur. Foundation stone of the expressway was laid July 14, 2018 by Prime Minister Modi.
- The total project value is Rs 22494 crore.
- UPEIDA stands for Uttar Pradesh Expressways Industrial Development Authority.
- It was established in 2007 by the Uttar Pradesh government, to develop expressway projects in the state.
- The Uttar Pradesh Expressways Industrial Development Authority (UPEIDA) has been given the responsibility of completing these projects.
- Purvanchal Expressway is going to give a boost to the economic development of eastern parts of Uttar Pradesh, especially the districts of Lucknow, Barabanki, Amethi, Ayodhya, Sultanpur, Ambedkar Nagar, Azamgarh.
- Once it is opened to the public, the travel time from Lucknow to Ghazipur will be reduced from 6 hours to 3.5 hours.
- It establishes a direct link between the NCR and eastern Uttar Pradesh till almost the Bihar border.
- This expressway will prove to be the backbone of Eastern UP.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -