The new Parliament House was inaugurated by the Prime Minister
Tags: National News
On May 28, 2023, Prime Minister Narendra Modi officially inaugurated the new Parliament House.
An Overview of the News
- The New Parliament House is located in the Central Vista area of New Delhi.
- It has been designed to accommodate the growing size and needs of the Indian Parliament.
- The building has seating arrangements for 888 members of the Lok Sabha and 384 members of the Rajya Sabha.
- It also includes six committee rooms equipped with state-of-the-art audio-visual systems.
- Covering an area of approximately 65,000 square metres, the new building has a triangular shape to optimise space utilisation.
- It is a four storied building constructed at an estimated cost of Rs 970 crore.
- The building was designed by Ahmedabad-based HCP Design, Planning and Management and constructed by Tata Projects Limited.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi also installed "Sengol" in a dedicated enclosure to the right of the Speaker's chair in the Lok Sabha chamber.
- Sengol is made of silver and gold.
- It is a five feet long sceptre which was given by Lord Mountbatten to Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru on August 14, 1947 as a symbol of the transfer of power.
- Sengol is a symbol of rule in the Tamil kingdoms of the past.
- It was earlier displayed in the Allahabad Museum.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -